Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Being Content

Proverbs 30:7-9 - "Two things I ask of you; deny them not to me before I die: Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that needful for me, lest I be full and deny you and say, 'Who is the LORD?' or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God." (ESV)

The Scripture above was written by Agur and has a simple message: he wanted to be content with God. He didn't want to have too much or too little, he wanted to have just what he needed. That way he wouldn't be boastful in himself if he had too much, and he wouldn't steal or curse the name of God if he had too little. As believers, we should strive to be like Agur, but unfortunately, for many of us, we have a hard time being content. Nowadays, we typically want riches and more than "the food that is needful". We aren't content with only having the food and necessities we need...we have to have more. Instead of asking for God to help us to be content with what we need, we strive for more and more...eventually making it our idol. Now don't get me wrong...there is nothing wrong with having plenty...just so long as you are using your excess to help further the Kingdom of God. However, if you are seeking riches in order to further yourself, you are falling into a trap. In 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Paul says, "But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs." (ESV) If we desire to be rich to further ourselves, we are digging ourselves into a pit that is very hard to get out of. If He blesses us with plenty, that's good...but we should give some of the excess back to Him and the church. However, we should never seek to be rich, but to be content with what He has given us. Maybe when we strive to do that we can be more like Paul. Even when he was in prison, he was content. In Philippians 4:11 he says, "not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content" (ESV). Even though he was in prison, he was content in the Lord. Regardless of what situation he found himself in, he decided to be content with whatever God provided. When we learn to be content with what He has given us, we will truly abound and grow in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment